CEDAR, BRAZILIAN (HARDWOOD)
DESCRIPTION OF WOOD
- Colour: Pale pink-brown to darker reddish-brown occasionally with purple tinge.
- Shape: Grain is not usually straight except with mature slow-grown trees which are more resinous and interlock grained.The wood contains gum which gives it characteristic odour similar to genuine softwood cedar.
- Texture: Medium to fine, coarser in the case of mature slow-grown tree
- Density/Weight: 370-750 kg/m3 (23-47 lb/ft3)
PROPERTIES OF WOOD
- Moderately good steam-bending rating
- Medium strength in all categories
RELEVANT USES OF WOOD & VENEER
- High quality cabinet & furniture making
- Clothing chests
- Interior joinery
- Boat building
- Organ sound boards & cigar boxes