High mechanical strength
comparable with that of equivalent grades of plywood and other structural panel products.
Resistance to distortion, splitting and de-lamination
Excellent strength-to-weight ratio
Dimensionally stable. Retains as-new performance levels throughout its long life when used in specified service conditions.
Precise, predictable performance
Load bearing grades conform with exactly defined design and loading specifications in dry or humid atmospheres.
Easy to work
Readily sawn, drilled, planed, routed and sanded. May be nailed, stapled or screwed close to the edge without splitting. Simple to glue, paint and stain.
No knotholes, core voids or points of weakness.
supplied in a variety of grades, a wide range of surface sizes, ready sanded or unsanded, plain-edged or tongued-and-grooved.
Low ecological impact
No mature trees are sacrificed in the manufacture of OSB. Only small-diameter timber from ecologically sustainable forests is used.
The product itself is fully recyclable.
What is it used for?
According to European standards, there are 4 types of OSB, according to use :
- OSB/1 : boards for general purpose use and interior use in dry conditions
- OSB/2 : boards for load-bearing in dry conditions
- OSB/3 : boards for load-bearing in wet/moist conditions
- OSB/4 : high-specification boards for load-bearing in wet/moist conditions
When it comes to new construction projects, OSB’s versatility makes it easy to work with a variety of applications, including :
- Wall sheeting – excellent strength and racking performance under all types of exterior cladding.
- Roof sheeting – uniformly sound and extra rigid to handle snow and wind loads, sacking for pitched tiles on slated roofs, structural decking on joists for flat roofs.
- Subfloors – strong, rigid and impact-resistant for underlayment, carpet or tiles.
- Single-layer floors – use OSB directly under carpet, lightweight concrete or hardwood.
- Underlayment – uniformly thin yet strong and finely sanded, OSB provides a smooth and uniform base for vinyl or tiles.
- I-joists – a high quality support system that minimizes deflection, provides for long spans and minimizes floor squeaking. Because it’s engineered, OSB can be custom manufactured to meet specific requirements in thickness, density, panel size, surface texture, strength and rigidity. OSB is also highly workable, making it easy to saw, drill, nail, plane, file, glue, paint and sand. This makes it an excellent choice for the replacement of ageing or unwanted building components, as well as new additions to existing structures. OSB is also used as concrete shuttering or framework.